Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Homeschool progress

We are finishing our 9th week of homeschooling in most subjects.  Some subjects we are far ahead in and others we are minimally behind in.  Since Reece is not getting report cards/progress reports, this is my update on her progress that we can always go back and look at. 

  • She is reading 8 short stories on her own.  (this part of our curriculum we weren't suppose to start until week 10 - which is next week.  So we are 9 weeks ahead on this part.  I knew she was ready to read, so I started it right away).
  • We have read 4 chapter books together that she has to listen and answer questions on- Box Car Children, The Apple and the Arrow, My Fathers Dragon, and Hundred Dresses.  Those are just the ones that are part of our curriculum.  We have read more from the library.  We also read a bible story a day and are through Deuteronomy.
  • She knows 50+ sight words.  This is not part of our curriculum but knew that I needed to add it in so I printed some off of some websites including:  www.education.com and http://www.thesmilingteacher.com/sight_words_kindergarten.htm
  • Also separate of our curriculum, I taught her how to tie her shoes and we are working on her phone number and address.
  • She knows 9 verses in song (we focus on one each week) from sing the word A to Z.  This is part of our curriculum but you can buy it here. (Many of you have asked me about this).  All the songs are sang to famaliar tunes and help them hid God's words in our hearts.  It has helped me remember references as well.
  • For Science, we have mainly been looking at trees and plant life.  It has been so neat to see it all in action as we have been having trees planted from the storm. 
  • For History and Geography we have mainly been looking at the different continents.  She knows all 7 and where to find them on the map.
  • For math, we mainly focus on the calendar and patterns.  We are doing some addition, as well as counting and writing numbers.
  • She has completed around 150 worksheets in 9 weeks - these are writing exercises, math problems, language art, etc type worksheets. (that equals to about 3 worksheets a day).
So that is about it for us in the kindergarten world.  Things have been going so smoothly and it feels so right!  I love watching her learn and although hard sometimes...working through her frustrations with her is nice.  We have all grown closer as a family because of this!  We are all learning so much from this.  I can't believe how much I have forgetten when it comes to things like geography. 

I am surprised at how much God has even changed Brock's heart on it.  I have even heard him bragging to his friends and he has thanked me several times for my efforts!  Its amazing to see God at work through obeying Him even when it was hard.  It's hard now but I think in the long run, the blessings we receive from this experience will be well worth it.  To me, this was a big decision but God has showed me how small it really is in the scheme of other things He has been calling us to do.  I think He wanted us to obey and trust Him in this small thing so we would know to trust Him in some bigger things.  If we can receive such blessings from this small act of obedience, what can He do in bigger things?!  I know it will be an amazing ride and am looking forward to sharing it all with anyone who is reading.  The joy I have in sharing it with others totally outweighs not sharing it, because it brings glory to God in all He is doing in my small life.  Imagine what He is doing in the rest of the big world?

No comments: