Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Happy 90th Birthday, Grandpa!

Yesterday was my grandpa's 90th birthday party. My mom and uncle (grandpa's kids) threw him a surprise birthday at his favorite resturant - Hometown Buffet. My grandparents meet friends there once a week. My grandpa is a retired pastor so he had a lot of friends from his old church come to the party, as well as people from the nursing home, friends from the church they had been attending, etc. There were about 60 people there. Grandpa has done so much for so many people...it was a very emotional day for everyone including the staff at Hometown Buffet who serve him every week. My mom and uncle put together a slideshow filled with pictures of grandpa and his family. Someone spoke of things that were happening a 100 years ago (the price of things, life expectancy, etc) and told of grandpa's life. This was all very hard for grandpa as he is use to being the guy to throw these types of parties and he is not getting around too well with having mulitple strokes. But he said he had a fabulous time.

Grandpa has been such a big part of my life, mostly in a spiritual way. The example he has set and his love for Jesus Christ are amazing. He is excited to soon leave this horrible earth and see his Savior for who he has been faithful to for so many years. Grandpa was a big part of Brock and I's wedding day and we are glad we got him on video tape conducting part of the ceremony. That was very special to me and I will never forget it.

Surprise! This was Grandpa and Grandma as they entered the room full of friends and family.


Mom, Evan (my younger brother), grandma, me, Uncle Dave, and of course the honoree, grandpa - Rev Alvin Gage

No comments: