Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Park # 3 - Anderson Park and Aquatic Center

Last week we checked out Anderson Park in Normal. It is located on East College Ave or 100 S Maple St. You can view additional info about this park at http://www.normal.org/Gov/ParksAndRec/Facilities/AndersonPark.asp
Anderson Park has a tennis court, basketball court, softball/baseball diamond, 2 pavillion/picnic shelters, 2 large playground areas and restroom (in between the two play areas). This park is rather large with plenty of things to do. It has lots of shade, picnic tables, benches and areas to sit and relax (that is until you see the playground). This particular week we brought our first special guest - cousin De-de (Kennedy), Tate, and Aunt Jo-Jo.

The smaller playground on the west side of the park (closest to the aquatic center) posted a sign that said the playground was for ages 5 to 12. This I thought was interesting as we had two 2 year olds that just came from the bigger (much scarier) playground area where I didn't see a sign posted. I liked how the smaller playground had tubes that had to be climbed to get to the higher, more dangerous play area. This meant, our two year olds could not access that area without our help.

The larger playground area (on the east side of the park) was quite the match for fearless 2 year olds. As a mother watching, I am pretty sure I was on the edge of a heart attack nearly every second. This playground reached heights of I'd say at least 15 feet (Jodi, keep me honest here)...I certainly couldn't touch my little girl as she dangled her foot out of one of the many openings (which contained a rock wall, rope, pole, etc)...at any rate...an opening at which my 2 year old had no fear of. If you could have only seen Jodi and I running from end to end with our arms in the air...my palms sweat as I re-live this image. There were a couple of baby swings and even a handicap accessible swing. There were 7 BIG slides (which I got the priviledge of seeing my daughter shoot out of like a cannon ball in a cannon) and a few small ones. There was a bathroom but it was quite the walking distance from either play area and it was not very clean and had no soap!
I am giving this park 3 1/2 stars...I did like it but it just may be a few years til we go back.

Smaller playground on the East side of park (see the tube under the slide that they have to climb to get to the higher parts)

higher parts with openings...




Bigger, more dangerous side off in the distance...

phew...finally safe and caged...

No comments: