Thursday, May 28, 2009

Park #5 - Maxwell Park

Greetings, faithful readers of our blog! This week finds us late on getting the park review out as it was not good park weather. I was waiting to see if things would clear up so we could head to the park but no such luck. But lucky for you we went to several parks last week! Now that is dedication to my anxiously awaiting readers, right!? Or maybe it's just boredom...or a kid that says "park, park" every waking moment of her life! But anyway...let me just mention that I am no park expert by any means. I just go there with my kids and am either thrilled or annoyed by what I find there. But please tell me if there are things you want me to specifically look for when I go...or something you want me to add to the review. I have had a lot of great feedback so far. Sometimes I am so focused on what the park does and doesn't have that I forget to make it somewhat entertaining which is the fun part of writing them. For example, I forgot to mention that at Anderson (during the early potty training days), "someone" (for the sake of embarrassment, I won't mention names) POOPED their pants...and because "she" did not have underwear on (yet another funny story), it rolled down her pant leg and onto the ground. But a very swift and intelligent mommy (again, no names please), swept it up like an in-fielder grabbing up a ground ball, and tossed it in the can. Phew...that was a close one. Further embarrassment came when we left the park in nothing but a t-shirt and a diaper - WITH SHOES ON. Can you say TRASHY? Anyhow...I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't laugh my butt off at something like this (or drink until I forget about it...KIDDING). And come on...it just doesn't happen to us...if you have had a 2 year old or have one...you have gone through something similiar or will. I am not making this stuff up, people - it WILL happen to you if it hasn't already. And then you say if it does happen to you, you'd never tell...HA (I was one of those people)...well, I say there is more of it to come so you might as well laugh about it and enjoy it. Why wait til you're old to look back on it and laugh? There are so many other embarrassing stories I could share with you but I better get on to the park review. Maybe I'll add an embarrassing story to each park review and you all can give it stars.

Maxwell Park is located between Parkside Junior High and Normal West on Parkside and Gregory St. The website (http://www.normal.org/Gov/ParksAndRec/Facilities/MaxwellPark.asp) says it's a 125 acre park. It includes the Champion Fields softball complex, 6 lighted tennis courts, playground equipment for all ages, a larger pinic shelter (available for reservations), restrooms (we'll get to that in a minute), a completely fenced in dog park, 18 hole frisbee golf course, a 12 pit lighted horseshoe court (I thought horseshoes were banned like yard jarts...HA, remember that FUN and scary game?), 3 small picnic shelters, basketball court, and hiking trails. It has lots of trees for shade and benches for mommies (or daddies, or whoever) to sit. As I mentioned before, it does have a "restroom"...I wouldn't call an open room with 3 stalls and NO doors a place I would rest. How restful could "going" in front of people really be? But at least it has a bathroom though...I am still almost speechleess that Bittner park does not have one...seeming how I drink most of my meals, a bathroom is crucial (and no, I am not talking about alcohol, people...if I didn't drink a smoothie every morning for breakfast, I wouldn't get to eat - there is no time to sit and eat a meal with 2 small children -so many parks, garage sales, and other things to do! Caffiene and water are also a key part of my semi-successful parenting - so needless to say, I "drink" a lot and bathrooms are important). So...safety...it's a big park so got to keep a close eye on your peeps. It's also close to a somewhat busy road. But the playground seems safer than most. A place to go...well...to the bathroom...check. Picnic area...check. Lots to do...check. Clean...check. We give this park 4 and 1/2 stars! (would have given it 5 if the bathroom stalls had doors...)

"Littlier" kids play area (sign says 2 -5)

"Bigger" kid play area

Some swings (one is hanicapped accessible), a digger and other things...

More swings....jumpy things, and a Merry-go-round...yep...remember those?







1 comment:

Wethingtons said...

Wait, wait . . . WHO left in nothing but a t-shirt and a diaper? You, or the child? :) Just kidding, I love reading your blog. :)