Thursday, August 26, 2010

Grandparents Day Lesson

Today, Reece and Brody are going to spend the day with grandma (better known as mimi and papa).  So I thought it would be appropriate to do a lesson on grandparents.  This was not an easy task!!  How fitting though that I discovered Grandparents day is coming up on Sept 12th!

I could not find any stories about a grandparent in the bible (please let me know if you know of anything).  The only thing I found was the story of Naomi and Ruth which is kind of stretching it for a story.  I found this insight on Annie's site (http://www.annieshomepage.com/):

"The story that comes to mind when I think about grandparents and the bible is the story of Ruth.  Grandparents don't have to be grandparents by blood to feel like family.  ...in the beginning Naomi moved with her husband and 2 sons to an unknown land.  The people didn't worship their God.  Her two sons married women of a different culture and faith but she loved them as if they were her own daughters.  It is not always the norm to have a mother in law treat her daughter in law as a daughter but it does happen and when it does it is a true blessing for both women.  They were not bonded by blood but by the love of a mother for her son and the love of a wife for her husband.  What an amazing grandmother she must have been!"  Very much a true story in my life!

I searched and searched for a children's version of the story of Ruth and Naomi online (like 1.5 hours...good thing I get up early).  I really didn't find anything I thought was age appropriate for Reece.  I found this one (click here) that I thought was good but mostly because of the pictures.  I knew Reece only being 3.5 that this was probably over her head but we went through it anyways...its a good routine for us anyhow and it's getting the bible (stories, names, etc) in front of her.  I tried to show the comparison of Ruth to me (another long stretch) and Naomi to her Mimi.  I think that was way confusing for her!

Scripture Reference: 2 Timothy 1:1-7; 3:10-17

Concept: God gave me grandparents who love me and help me learn about Jesus.
 
We made this card (click here) to give to Mimi today and put the following verse in it:

2 Tim 1:5  I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother...and in your mother...and, I am persuaded now lives in you also."

Deut 4:9.  "Only be careful and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live.  Teach them to your children and to their children after them"
 
For adults, I thought this was a very interesting biblical sermon/speech on grandparents and their roles in our children's live (click here)!

No comments: