Monday, December 12, 2011

Letters C, D, E, F, G and H.

We had a busy weekend so I got behind on the letters and also posting.  We did do letters C and D on Thursday, but we didn't get to E and F until yesterday and G and H today.

For letter C we looked at the Church, Christ, Christmas, and Candy Cane.  We colored a big letter C that said Christ and we talked about what that name means.  We also read the Legend of the Candy Cane which tells about how the Candy Cane was "invented".  We enjoyed eating candy canes afterward (even though it was early morning).  Here are the kids with their J for Jesus and their Shepards staff (learned about in the book).


For D we looked at the word Disciple and discussed what a disciple is and how many of them there are.  We looked at the Fishers of Men story in their read with me bible.  And we looked at several short passages in the bible (Matthew 9:35-10:8, Mark 3:13-19, Luke 6:12-18, and John 1:35-42).  They colored a big letter D that had the word disciple on it and also all the names of the disciples. 

For letter E we looked at Eternal Life and what a gift that God has given us through His son Jesus.  Eternal means without beginning or end; forever; timeless.  We looked at a few passages in the bible (John 3:16, Romans 6:23, and 1 John 5:13).  Just as God gave us a gift of eternal life, I gave my children a gift to represent it.  I gave to Reece a necklace of a cross that I wore when I was a child. I gave Brody a little glow and the dark cross that I had hanging in my room as a child.  I meant to take pictures of this but got a little carried away.

For F we looked at Family.  We talked about the first family of Adam and Eve and also Jesus's family.  We looked at two stories from our Boz book that talk about how God made families special and how families love each other.   No craft for this one that I could find.  My idea was to do something fun as a family - which we have been doing alot anyway.

For G we looked at God.  We looked at all God created in Genesis 1 (Using their read to me bible since it's more appealing to them).  We talked about how God sent His only son to save us from our sins. 

H is for Heaven.  We talked about the characteristics of Heaven found in Revelations 21:3-5: no more crying, no more pain, no more evil, streets of gold, etc.  And tied it back to the letter E for eternal life and God. 

Tomorrow we will look at I and J.  I is for Immanuel and J is for Jesus.  I have had a lot of trouble finding good/simple crafts for the other letters, but there are a boat load for the letter J.  So I must go and work and that so I will be ready for tomorrow. 


Oh, and here is a picture of our display wall of all the letters and things we have been working on.  We are quickly going through them all before Christmas, but my hope is to go back and focus on each one a little more through the winter!  

No comments: